Place des Victoires, Paris
This is a photo taken at the Place des Victoires, a circular place in Paris, located a short distance northeast from the Palais Royal and straddling the border between the Ier and the IIe arrondissement. At the center of the place is an equestrian monument in honor of King Louis XIV, celebrating the paix de Nimègue concluded in 1678-79. A marshal of France, François de La Feuillade, vicomte d'Aubusson, on his own speculative initiative, demolished the old private mansions around the area; Feuillade's project was soon taken over by the Bâtiments du Roi and entrusted the royal architect, Jules Hardouin Mansart, with redeigning a more superb area, still ringed with private houses, to accommodate a majestic statue of the triumphant king. Mansart's design, of 1685, articulated the square's unified façades according to a formula utilised in some Parisian hôtels particuliers, of colossal pilasters linking two floors, standing on a high arcaded based with channeled rustication; the faċades were capped with sloping slate "mansard roofs", punctuated by dormer windows.