This is a photo taken in the Tuileries Garden, Paris. When the large empty space between the northern and southern wings of the Louvre now familiar to modern visitors was revealed in 1883 (demolition of the ruins of the Tuileries Palace, destroyed in the 1871 fire by the Commune de Paris), for the first time the Louvre courtyard opened into an unbroken Axe historique. The Tuileries Garden (Jardin des Tuileries) is surrounded by the Louvre (to the east), the Seine (to the south), the Place de la Concorde (to the west) and the Rue de Rivoli (to the north). The Tuileries Garden covers about 63 acres (25 hectares) and still closely follows a design laid out by landscape architect André Le Nôtre in 1664. His spacious formal garden plan drew out the perspective from the reflecting pools one to the other in an unbroken vista along a central axis from the west façade, which has been extended as the Axe historique.