All photographs on this Blog are copyrighted © by the photographer, whose permission is required for any usage. Contact me by E-mail

08/01/2009

Koala, Phascolarctos Cinereus, Australia


This photo was taken in Australia, where Koalas can be found in coastal regions of eastern and southern part of Australia. The Koalas of South Australia were largely exterminated during the early part of the 20th century, but the state has since been repopulated with Victorian stock. The Koala lives almost entirely on eucalypt leaves, which are low in protein, high in indigestible substances, and contain phenolic and terpene compounds that are toxic to most species. Like Wombats and Sloths, the Koala has a very low metabolic rate for a mammal and rests motionless for about 16 to 18 hours a day, sleeping most of that time...

7 comments:

roentarre said...

Finally this koala is awake! It is usually sleeping everytime I spot on in the wild!

Good capture!

Dana Williams said...

You lived in Australia? I've heard it's beautiful there. It's definitely on my list of places to visit.

article-on-finance said...

Nice pics.

Astron said...

Its sooooooo cute!
Another equally cute animal is raccoon. :)
Hopping to see pics of it oneday on your blog! ;-)

Marc said...

Hey Loic, lovely site with quite a variety of images. Great little koala fella, just love them. Kind regards.

jodapoet said...

The koala is precious. Great Photo

Traveling Canadian said...

Hey just got your comment on my blog :D Glad you liked the pictures! When I was in Oz I loved taking Koala Bear pictures! They make such easy subjects because they are curious and look at the camera. If only every animal was that easy to capture eh! I'll let you know when I post the pictures of of the koalas, I have a few real cute ones!