This is a photo of Carcassonne, a fortified French town in the Languedoc-Roussillon region. It is separated into the fortified Cité de Carcassonne and the more expansive lower city, the ville basse. The folk etymology – involving a châtelaine named Carcas, a ruse ending a siege and the joyous ringing of bells ("Carcas sona"), though memorialized in a neo-Gothic sculpture of Mme. Carcas on a column near the Narbonne Gate – is of modern invention. The fortress, which was thoroughly restored in 1853 by the theorist and architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc, was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1997.