Haw Phra Kaew temple, Vientiane, Laos
This is a photo of Haw Phra Kaew, a former temple in Vientiane, Laos. It is situated on Setthathirath Road, to the southeast of Wat Si Saket. The interior now houses a museum and a small shop. Haw Phra Kaew was built between 1565 and 1556, on the orders of King Setthathirath. The temple housed the Emerald Buddha figurine, which Setthathirath had brought from Chiang Mai, then the capital of Lanna, to Luang Prabang. When Vientiane was seized by Siam (now Thailand) in 1778, the figurine was taken to Thonburi. It now resides in Wat Phra Kaew, Bangkok. The temple was left in devastating disrepair and nearly burnt down to the shreds by the Siamese. It was rebuilt by the French in the 1930's which is the former building that exist today.