Char Minar (Chor Minor), Bukhara (Buxoro, Бухоро, بُخارا), Uzbekistan (O‘zbekiston, Ўзбекистон)
This is a photo of Char Minar, which stands in a maze of alleys between Pushkin and Hoja Nurabad in Bukhara, Uzbekistan. Its name means "four minarets" in Tajik, but this interesting little building with four towers was actually a gatehouse of a medressa.
The Char Minar gatehouse was built along with its medressa in 1807. Its architecture is more Indian in style than Uzbek. UNESCO restored one the towers, which had collapsed, in 1998.
Following the street from the Ulugbek and Abdulazizkhan Madrassahs, which flows into the labyrinth of narrow, winding streets of old Bukhara, we can find this monument that is not as old, but which is notable for its architecture - the Chor-Minor Madrassah, which was built in 1807 by Khalif Niazkul. He built the madrassah with a cozy courtyard and a pond, a summer mosque, and a four-turret building opening into the architectural complex. It draws attention to itself with its unusual architectural solution, the main focus of which is the four turrets with their sky blue cupolas, which have nothing in common with ordinary minarets. The cube shaped building is crowned with a slightly flattened cupola, it is without any architectural decor and is finished in ordinary brick. Its facade is partially engulfed by a disproportionably large arched portal against which the corner turrets are pressed, and only cupolas ornamented with glazed tile bands of geometrical figures. The four sky-blue cupolas look majestic and beautiful against the background of the cloudless sky. Among the one-storey buildings of old Bukhara, the original beauty of Char-Minar is a pleasant addition to the skyline of the city.